Adjacent Water and Buck Islands served as pasture lands for the city, and Taphus was renamed Charlotte Amalie in 1691 after King Christian V’s wife.
It was the main port of the Virgin Islands Archipelago and was connected to about 50 plantations by one road, which remains the main highway today.
In 1764, Charlotte Amalie was declared a free port by king Frederick V, and the town became the busiest harbor in the Caribbean.
The American Revolution in the 1770s was good news for the city, as it was thriving times for the local businessfolk and the town begun to be filled by immigrants from Europe, Africa and the Caribbean, most of them from other islands of the Lesser Antilles.
It has a deep-water harbor that was once a haven for pirates and is now one of the busiest ports of call for cruise ships in the Caribbean, with about 1.5 million cruise ship passengers landing there in 2004. It is on the southern shore at the head of Saint Thomas Harbor.
Protected by Hassel Island, the harbor has docking and fueling facilities, machine shops, and shipyards and was a U. In 2010 the city had a population of 18,481, which makes it the largest city in the Virgin Islands Archipelago.
The Danish West India Company chartered Charlotte Amalie in 1671 after King Christian V decided to secure them for plantations.
Neighboring islands gradually began importing coal directly from producers, and Charlotte Amalie was sidestepped in trade in the early 1800s.
The abolition of slavery in 1848 further diminished Charlotte Amalie’s commercial role and the town suffered from a brutal recession, as did most of the Caribbean following abolition.
According to the latest census, the city population is 20000.
Geographical coordinates of Charlotte Amalie (WGS84): latitude: 18° 20' 31" N ( 18.3419 ), longitude: 64° 55' 51" W ( -64.9307 ). This Wikipedia’s article is available under the GFDL.