With the formation splitting into groups to be variously challenged from Manston, Kenley, Hornchurch, Biggin Hill and Hawkinge airfields, a group of Dorniers made it to Northfleet a little after midday.
They dropped about 106 bombs ranging from 50–250 kilos over the town.
The industry requires plentiful water supplies, and chalk as its main ingredient, both of which were to hand.
When in 1796, James Parker set up kilns on Northfleet creek to make his Roman cement, it was the beginning of a large complex of cement works along this stretch of the river.
Its name is derived from being situated on the northern reach of what was once called the River Fleet (today known as the Ebbsfleet). By 1610 the name of Northfleet had become established.
There is a village at the other end of the river named Southfleet. A battle took place during the civil war at the Stonebridge over the Ebbsfleet river.
An inquest was held at Woolwich, but no conclusive reason was ever established as to the cause of the disaster at the Devils Elbow on the Thames.
The bombs killed 29 people, injured 27, and badly damaged two schools.
Northfleet Urban District Council was set up under the Local Government Act of 1894.
Their full title was the 'Kent Zoological and Botanical Gardens Institution'.
They occupied an area in what was to become Rosherville New Town (see below).